About the Engineering Learning Unit
The Engineering Learning Unit (ELU) was established in 2007 to lead innovation and excellence in engineering education within the Melbourne School of Engineering.
The core of the ELU are the education specialists appointed at the end of 2011. They are Prof David Shallcross, A/Prof Graham Moore, Dr Gavin Buskes and Mr Cliff Ogleby. Other members of the ELU include Mr Brice Shen (ELU Manager), Dr Kaya Prpic (Consultant) and Huey Chan (Workshop Coordinator).
As well as providing leadership in engineering education within the School, the ELU also serves the School in a number of other ways:
- mentoring to new academic staff;
- advice and mentoring to staff requiring assistance in teaching;
- engineering education research;
- coordination of multi-disciplinary subjects such as Fluid Mechanics;
- running the Skills Towards Employment Program (STEP);
- analysis of student survey results;
- research as requested by the School (for example, development of translation of academic standards for qualifications from different countries);
- engineering education seminars and promulgation of best practice;
- School teaching awards;
- tutor training; and,
- professional accreditation preparation.
Currently the ELU is focussed on developing capabilities in three main areas of engineering education:
- assessment and feedback
- student engagement
- development of teamwork, management and communication skills.